It’s really cold outside. I mean REALLY cold. Well, at least for Northern California.
So today I threw together a homemade chicken pot pie and when it’s out of the oven, I’m going to serve up a bowl and curl up on the sofa with my honey, my dog and a documentary.
Here’s the recipe for two 9 x13 rectangle pans of yummy Chicken Pot Pie
- 6 chicken breasts boiled and diced
- (reserve water that chicken boiled in for later use)
- 1 package of frozen pie crusts - there should be two crusts in the package
- (you can make your own pie crust. I was lazy so just cut some time out by using frozen pie crusts.)
- 1 16oz bag of lima beans
- 1 16oz bag of petite peas
- 1 16oz bag of corn
- 4 stalks of celery cleaned, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 cans of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. tarragon
- n large dutch oven pan, boil chicken breasts in 8 cups of water. Reserve chicken broth for casseroles.
- In a different large pot combine: 2 cans of chicken stock,lima beans,petite peas, carrots, celery, thyme, tarragon, parsley, onion and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer until carrots and celery are tender.
- In the mean time set your casserole dish on the counter. And make sure that your frozen pie crusts are thawing at room temperature.
- Once the veggies are finished simmering, strain the veggies and keep the stock by pouring into a bowl or a large measuring cup with a spout.
- Put the veggie mixture into the casserole pans.
- After chicken is finished boiling, separate chicken let cool and then dice and stir into veggie mix. I used 3 breasts per casserole.
- Reserve stock for roux* that will be added to veggie mix.
- Put the empty pot back on the medium fire and add stick of butter, when completely melted add 1/2 cup of flour sprinkling it into the pan a little at a time and consistently stirring. The mixture should make a paste and should turn golden brown as it cooks.( this is your Roux)
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth at a time while still consistently stirring the chicken broth and roux until you have added 8 cups. Let it simmer into a gravy for about 5 minutes.
- This will be separated 4 cups into each casserole. Add 4 cups of the gravy to each casserole, stir into veggie and chicken mixture.
- Cover the entire surface of the pie with pie crust and bake in a 350 - 375 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes.
- *Roux - is a cooked mixture of wheat flour and fat (traditionally butter).
FIRST THAW FROZEN PIE CRUSTS.
I forgot this part and had to mosaic tile the crust onto the top of the chicken filling. I will take a photo when it is finished.
It won’t change the way it tastes, it just won’t be as pretty. My family of boys probably won’t even notice!The mosaic crust isn’t pretty… but it sure does taste good! Remember to thaw your frozen crust and you won’t have to do this.